eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Bull & Dog's Bogus Journey

Monday, April 23, 2007

Bull & Dog's Bogus Journey

So some of you in the Toronto area may have heard of the subway accident last night that resulted in a fatality. It also resulted in closing down chunk of my route to work today (less important, I suppose, in the grand scheme of things). I was unaware of any problem this morning until I arrived at York Mills station (at which point the PA system instructed us to leave the subway and continue downtown via a shuttle bus).

Now.... the shuttle service wasn't horrible because this was about 6:15 in the morning. Bottom line, I ended up about a half-hour late for work, which could have been a LOT worse, particularly if I'd left during the morning rush hour. The stoppage only affected service at three stations - York Mills, Lawrence and Eglinton - before going back to the subway.

By mid-afternoon, I'd heard that those stations were still out of service, and so I was working on a big plan. Assuming that there would be a huge lineup for the shuttle buses on the way home, I planned on taking the subway to Eglinton and then walking the three stops in between. Then, of course, it started pouring outside, stopping only shortly before I left work.

I armed myself with some emergency supplies: an umbrella I swiped from the closet and two (2) packages of peanut M&M's. The subway ride, just to Eglinton, took about 30 minutes as it dragged along because of the problems uptown. Then I got out of the subway and started on my journey. To say it was a little longer than I'd expected was an understatement.

Now, I just mapquested it, and it's only a distance of 2.7 miles between the three stops. But adding to that were (a) the humidity out there with the rain drying up and (b) the fact that I was wearing a suit and leather shoes, and it didn't seem like such a hot idea after a while.

Bottom line, I left work at 5:30 and was home by 7:30, only 90 minutes longer than my normal commute. This is TOTALLY counting as my gym visit for the day....

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how they have all those "You Were Warned"-type shows about potential disasters and how to survive them?

This story just proves that you'd be the first to die. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home