eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Backlash Thoughts

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Backlash Thoughts

Not a bad PPV overall.... this continues the streak (in my opinion, at least) to four very good shows this year. Of my predictions on Online Onslaught, I was right in all but two matches (I picked Flair and Foley), redeeming myself from my awful record at Mania.

Shelton Benjamin Vs. Ric Flair
Probably shouldn't have been the opener, but they didn't have a ton of other decent choices. Flair, as usual, worked his ass off to make someone else look great, and Benjamin held up his end quite nicely. That leap onto the top rope was especially impressive. Would have liked to see the seeds planted for a Benjamin-Batista feud here, but a well-told story nonetheless.

Jonathan Coachman Vs. Tajiri
Garrison Cade? The only possible explanation I can think of is that the road agents had asked Kane to interfere, and Cade misheard, thought they said "Cade" and ran out before they could stop him.

Chris Jericho Vs. Christian/Trish Stratus
Still not the match I thought these three were capable of having, but strong and fast-paced, so it left me nothing to complain about, really.

Victoria Vs. Lita
Bleah. Further evidence Lita shouldn't be anywhere near a ring anymore. I swear, I wouldn't have been surprised to see her take off a wig and her bra and reveal that she's actually Jeff Hardy. And did I hear JR say she invented the Moonsault?

Randy Orton Vs. Mick Foley
I still say that was the wrong decision. Foley should have come out on top, but they painted themselves into a corner putting the title on the line. That said, what a fantastic match! Orton was a real sport, taking all kinds of nasty bumps I never imagined I'd see him take, and of course Foley rocked. Only thing that really bothered me was Bischoff trying to stop Foley from using fire. Why doesn't anyone complain when Kane's entrance has fire?

Hurricane/Rosey Vs. La Resistance
Hey, I predicted THIS match would happen too. Not that I'm proud of that fact, but whatever... was harmless enough, and Eugene's role was actually funny. Go figure. Little high up on the card, though, no?

Edge Vs. Kane
I got what I expected - a so-so match that didn't really show me anything new. Other than Edge is freaking huge now!

Chris Benoit Vs. Triple H Vs. Shawn Michaels
This certainly didn't top their 'Mania outing, but it was nothing to sneeze at either. The sequence with Michaels putting Benoit in the sharpshooter and Earl Hebner coming out must have a lot of people very nervous. Of course, that was the whole point, so full points for bringing the drama. HBK will turn shortly, I'm sure of it now. By the way, how come he didn't blade tonight? Did he run out of blood or something? I think Benoit winning was the right decision that helped all three for very different reasons. Solid main event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home