eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: WrestleMania Thoughts

Monday, April 04, 2005

WrestleMania Thoughts

Well, I'd be lying if this was the best WrestleMania ever, but it was certainly a fun night out. Forgive me if this entry isn't making a whole lot of sense, I'm under the weather right now and a little woozy, to be honest.

Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero
Not bad at all. I would have liked to see Rey Rey turn heel, but the match was pretty sound.

Money In The Bank
Why on earth was this second on the show, particularly following a hot Eddie-Rey match? Tons of sick spots, a helluva performance by everyone (Kane of all people did great, though Shelton and Benoit pulled off some great bumps too). I hope Benoit's okay, he looked in serious pain towards the end there. Edge winning was definitely the right decision.

Eugene-Hassan-Hogan
Pretty much as expected. Fun nonetheless.

Undertaker vs Randy Orton
Actually, was much better than I'd expected. Both guys did the right thing here (Undertaker sold and Orton didn't screw anything up). Hell, Bob Orton took a helluva bump; forget Chavo Classic, I'd be happy to see Orton Classic around for a while. Not a bad match at all.

Trish Stratus vs Christy Hemme
Hey, it was quick. No harm done.

Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle
Lived up to the hype and then some. I didn't figure Kurt was going to make Michaels tap, but that's what made it more exciting in the end. That corkscrew HBK pulled off was fantastic, though I question JR's call that he crashed into a "reinforced steel table". MOTY candidate for sure.

Piper's Pit
Lots of fun, wasn't overly long, and although I didn't predict Carlito would be there, it was still quite predictable.

Akebono vs Big Show
Just terrible. Why? That was WAYYYY more of Big Show than I ever needed to see. Who did that match help?

John Cena vs JBL
Disappointing, to say the least. You've gone this far in pushing JBL and his world-beating title reign. The least you could have done is booked a more solid match. Hell, this is one time I would have wanted Orlando and The Bashams to interfere.

Hall of Fame Ceremony
Simple, classy, and not at all overdone. Perfect.

Batista vs Triple H
A little disappointing, but not horrible or anything. Batista seemed blown up pretty early, but Big Dave hasn't really had a lot of long matches to speak of. Triple H did his best to keep things going, and like I said, it wasn't terrible. But for a match of that magnitude, it deserved a little something more. Maybe just a faster pace.

Overall, I did like the show. But my immediate (and flu-induced) reaction? It's still behind 20, 17, 3 and a few others as the best WrestleMania ever.

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

was i the only one who thought something was off in the eddie/rey match? eddie seemed out of it and rey's mask caused more interference than jimmy hart in a nasty boys match.
shelton had the spot of the night with that run up the ladder.
hogans posing lasted triple what the runin on hassan did. i seriously got to the point were i was looking for something else to do while he wrapped it up.
i hate orton but that match worked for me.
just some thoughts.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Bulldog said...

No, I did think Rey-Eddie was a little off because of the mask, but still... them being off is equivalent to most guys being on, so wasn't a huge deal to me.

Shelton is just awesome. He needs to get put in a major feud ASAP to accelerate his push.

Personally, I thought the Hogan thing was fine. Of course he's going to take 20 minutes posing. That's just what he does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home