eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: What a day......

Saturday, July 30, 2005

What a day......

Argh! As I said about 2 inches above..... what a day.

My little boy has come down with the flu, which kind of changed any weekend plans we'd already had. Now, cleaning up puke and the like is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but watching Disney DVD's all day kind of got to me by, oh, 3 p.m. or so (or Beauty and the Beast, our fourth feature presentation of the day), especially on such a nice day here outside. Thankfully, his fever broke by dinnertime or so and he's feeling much better now.

Mid-day, I come to the realization that my laptop computer (actually, its my work's computer, but the only modern computer system I have) is broken. Not just slow or it has a bug in it, the damn thing just refuses to reboot without freezing up! Now, normally I wouldn't fret over the lack of Internet access, etc. over a weekend, but (a) this is a long weekend here in Canada, so this would be until Tuesday morning when I'm back at work (b) I'd promised to do something for OO that requires my attention on Monday night (let the speculation begin...) (c) A colleague from work had asked me to forward something to him ASAP, which I couldn't do without access to my system and (d) I have tons of other work to catch up on. So I needed a computer, somehow.

Call my tech support guy at home (who is just awesome, on the off-chance he's reading this) and he tells me no problem, just bring the defective laptop in and there's another one sitting on his desk, ready to roll. Beautiful!

So tonight, I ventured downtown to pick it up. Now, at this time of night, it's about a 45-60 minute commute to my office, -- either driving the whole way down, or by driving to a nearby subway station and taking the subway the rest of the trip. I decide to drive all the way, figuring, hey, its a Saturday night, how bad can traffic be? Of course, I forgot that this is Caribana weekend , a massive party that attracts hundreds of thousands of people to the city, and specifically, the downtown core. Once I got about halfway to my destination, I remembered this. You probably know where this is going: I left my house at 8:45, its now 10:42 and I *just* walked in... Again -- what a day!

I *would* say "Hey, at least things couldn't get any worse!", but come on now, you know that would just be jinxing it....

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home