eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Blue Jays Opening Game

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Blue Jays Opening Game

Got (very good) tickets to last night's Blue Jays home opener against the Twins, and it was great to be back into baseball season again.

I know they were talking about "major improvements" at the Rogers Centre this year, but the only thing I could tell was different was fancy new names for the same old fast-food joints (oh, and they sell Philly cheesesteaks now). At least from the 100's level, I didn't notice anything all that new.

Before the game, they had tributes to both Kirby Puckett and Tom Cheek (the voice of the Blue Jays for most of the previous 29 seasons). Cheek's widow threw the opening pitch out to Ernie Whitt (my all time fave Jay).

The game itself was phenomenal -- a 6-3 win, with Roy Halladay going almost 8 innings. And although I hate to jinx things (just like I've done for the last decade or so), I really do think the acquisitions the team has made this year may take them pretty far. Yeah, way too soon for a comment like that, but whatever.

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball hasn't been my bag for 15 years, but I do have something in common with you...

Ernie Whitt is my favourite player too. Probably because he always looked like just a regular dude that didn't appear to have any athletic ability.

Top 5 would probably be:

1. Ernie Whitt
2. Kelly Gruber
3. Pat Borders (don't ask me why, but every girl in Grade 7 had a crush on him)
4. Fred McGriff
5. Dave Stieb or Tom Henke

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Bulldog said...

Wow.... that's kinda funny. I probably dug Ernie for the same reasons; also the fact that remained on the team (and is still with the club) for so bloody long.

Remind me to tell you one day about the time I injured Kelly Gruber.....

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

forget telling someone, thats a blog post if i've ever seen one.
oh, and this will be my first year as a blue jay fan. never liked them (nope, not even through the world series years) but i really like the moves they've made this year (dude, you have a molina as a catcher, you can't go wrong) so here i go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home