eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: WrestleMania 22 Thoughts

Monday, April 03, 2006

WrestleMania 22 Thoughts

I haven't really gone online yet to gauge reactions (and by I came home from the theatre last night, I was exhausted), so not sure what the general consensus was, but I thought this was a fun show. I went 8 for 11 in my predix (unfortunately, losing the final two which woun't help matters in the OO predictions battle, but whatevs).

Overall: Kane/Show vs Masters/Carlito was short and painless; legitimately surprised they didn't turn Carlito here... Money In The Bank was phenomenal, perhaps a step behind last year's, but still terrific... JBL vs Benoit was kind of a stinker. Not terrible, just not what I felt either guy was capable of... Mick Foley vs Edge was match of the night, with some tremendous work by both guys (and Lita, for that matter) in getting this over with the fans (and having Joey Styles on the stick for this one match was a nice touch) ... The backstage vignette with Booker, Sharmell, and The Assorted Freaks was hi-fricking-larious. It was spot-on perfect, especially with DiBiase's laugh coming out of nowhere at the end.... Booker vs Boogey was EXACTLY what I expected, not good nor bad either way, really.... Trish vs Mickie was well done, save for a botched move near the finish. I'm SHOCKED that Trish was getting the Cena treatment so heavily, but to his credit, The Rick has been calling this development for some time now.... Undertaker vs Henry could have been twenty-five seconds in length and STILL too long for my liking, but c'est la vie. The Tombstone WAS impressive... Michaels vs McMahon was a whole lot of fun. I kept getting this feeling that they'd somehow screw Michaels (about mid-way through the match), but they went for the obvious finish, which isn't a bad thing. For a minute there, I thought the trashcan was legitimately stuck on McMahon, and they'd need the jaws of life or something.... Angle vs Mysterio vs Orton underdelivered slightly, but they went with the right decision in the end. Wonder if maybe Michaels/McMahon went too long and they had to trim back... But of course, they COULDN'T trim back the next match (Candice-Torrie). No comment on that one, other than I can't believe THAT MATCH screwed up my predix so badly because of its placement on the card.... And finally, Cena vs HHH. I'll admit; I was REALLY surprised by the finish. My brother (part of the famed PPV Posse) was calling for this type of finish (a clean win by Cena to a chorus of boos), but I just didn't see it. When Cena won, my brother goes for high-fives all around, and all of us just have our jaws dropping on the floor. It's not a bad finish, necessarily, because it gives a lot of intrigue to tonight's Raw. It's just an ODD finish. That said, I'm VERY interested to see how they follow up on this tonight.

Overall, a very good WrestleMania and as I predicted, they overdelivered on what seemed like a weak card on paper.

1 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read through any online reviews yet either (well, except for this one obviously), but I was happy with the show. I had a feeling going in, that no matter how shitty the card looked on paper, that it would still be entertaining. And it was.

My first hour and a half of the show was full of too much food and an 8 month old yelling (luckily, it was happy yelling) so I was partially distracted. The placement of some of the matches was strange. I thought MitB would be higher up on the card. And when Mysterio made his entrance I thought to myself - hey, maybe they're not doing the Playboy Pillow Fight afterall - but no-such-luck.

I'm not sure what it is about PPVs lately, but I'm finding that the matches seem shorter, or at least the endings come out of nowhere. Several of the matches last night seemed short, or quickly finished.

I can't pick a match of the night, because one didn't really stick out to me. Mick/Edge, Angle/Orton/Mysterio and MitB were all about even in my eyes.

Oprahdust? Fucking great. That's the kind of comedy relief that WORKS in wrestling. You know...stuff that's actually funny.

The biggest loser of the night? Bret Hart. Way to look like a total tool by not sticking around to come out for the HoF induction segment. "Uncomfortable"? A piece of me wonders if he was "uncomfortable" with the fact that he was a distant second in this year's inductees behind Eddie Guerrero and he's annoyed by the fact that he isn't getting singled out as THE inductee of note. I mean, come on...if you can make money with the WWE on your DVD, you sure as hell can walk out on stage at Wrestlemania. I'm sure they could lock Shawn in a closet for those five minutes so you wouldn't have to see him. Get a grip.

And although the UT/Henry match was a foregone conclusion, I always love the big man doing an over-the-top-rope dive. I mark for that EVERY time.

HHH the Barbarian? Cena the gangster? That was Big Time lame.

Oh, and kudos to Shawn Michaels for once again making something out of nothing. He is, indeed, the master. Next year, I hear he's going to wrestle Homer Simpson in a "battle of the dimensions" match!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home