eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: It was 20 years ago today.....

Monday, August 28, 2006

It was 20 years ago today.....

I cannot BELIEVE that 20 years ago today, I was freezing my butt off at the Canadian National Exhibitionm watching Hulk Hogan get his revenge against "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff at what has since been dubbed "The Big Event" (it was originally called "Wrestling Hulkamania Night" or somesuch).

But it's true. Check out Greg Oliver's fantastic article at Slam! Wrestling for what went down that night. He really does convey the electricity and just the general atmosphere in the air that night -- particularly impressive considering he wasn't there in person.

But even though it was 20 years old, it was probably one of my favorite live events I've ever attended (and you can throw concerts into that category as well). I remember being at summer camp, and my parents sent me a letter saying they'd scored tickets (and good tickets as well; something like 11th row ringside!) for this. Of course, being at camp the entire summer, I had no idea Orndorff had even turned on Hogan, if one can imagine such a thing.

The show itself was fantastic. Outside of Randy Savage and The British Bulldogs, most of the big WWF stars were in attendance. Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Junkyard Dog, Adrian Adonis, Harley Race, etc. I had a sign proclaiming King Kong Bundy to be my favorite, although I'm sure it didn't even stand out in the sea of 65,000 or so.

It was a VERY cold night for August, and the front rows kept smushing into each other, but it was all good night. Anyways, definitely recommend reading that article on Slam!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home