eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Film Review - Rocky Balboa

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Film Review - Rocky Balboa

First of all, hope everyone who celebrates it had a Merry Christmas. Even those who didn't.... heck, I spent the day hanging out with family at a (predominantly) Asian shopping mall east of the city that was still open yesterday, buying bootleg DVD's, etc. And then at night, I caught Rocky Balboa.

I am a sucker for this series -- the fight and training scenes, in particular are just so... inspirational. In that respect, this one delivered in spades.

Critics of the sixth installment in this series have said that Rocky Balboa is too similar to Rocky V, in that their hero is already long retired, and thus can't set the boxing world on fire. True enough, but I don't think that prevents him from telling an interesting story about aging and facing challenges.

The other criticism is I've read is that this one is too predictable. I will respectfully disagree. Now, it's not rocket science, figuring out the plot of a "Rocky" film, but I'll say that the entire Christmas Day audience watching barely said a word during the final fight scene - it was that compelling. Not to mention that the ESPN and HBO-style graphics made this one seem much more "realistic" than past Rocky's. A couple of nice cameo appearances as well....

I think the benefit of the Rocky films is the inspirational message you take away from it. I walked back from the theatre to my apartment after (I could have taken the subway, but it wasn't like it was really a far walk) in the rain, thinking "Wow, if Rocky could do this.... maybe I can accomplish whatever I want". Of course, by the time I got home it occurred to me it was only a film, but still, for a movie to instill that AFTER I've left the theatre is pretty spectacular.

If you're a Rocky fan and get what the franchise is all about, I'd recommend seeing this. Otherwise, it's probably not for everyone. One last thought... if Vince McMahon was able to create a successful underdog story that garnered this kind of emotion from fans? Money.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hook you up with a side of beef if you want to punch something. Hell, I'll even leave it attached to the cow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home