eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Them no-good Dukes, 24/7, Jays suck, and a request

Monday, August 08, 2005

Them no-good Dukes, 24/7, Jays suck, and a request

Busy weekend. Last night, I caught The Dukes of Hazzard movie. The show had been a favorite of mine as a kid (along with The A-Team), and the trailers actually looked decent on this one, so I was definitely looking forward to it.

Happy to report the film didn't disappoint. I mean, you have understand going into this that it's totally a popcorn flick, played completely for fun and nothing deeper than that. If you're okay with that, both Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott are perfect at channeling the spirit of a modern-day Bo and Luke. Jessica Simpson isn't a great Daisy Duke, but I think we all know why she's there.... and Burt Reynolds does a surprisingly-good Boss Hogg. Hell, I looked at Willie Nelson and aside from some more colorful language, it was hard to tell him apart from the original Uncle Jesse. The only problem, cast-wise, I had was with the actor who placed Sherriff Roscoe P. Coltrane -- he was supposed to be a buffoon in the series, and this guy was playing him nothing like that.

What was interesting is that, even though Bo and Luke et al are trapped in the mid-70's deep south, they're in modern surroundings, which made for a couple of nice chuckles.
Overall, this was a fun movie, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original Dukes series.

I also picked WWE 24/7 over the weekend and while I wasn't blown away by the selection, it's definitely money well spent. So far, I've either watched, skimmed through or taped SummerSlam 97 (Bret Hart vs Undertaker), an episode of Prime Time Wrestling (with classic Heenan/Monsoon interaction and a main event of JYD & Ricky Steamboat vs. Mr. Fuji and Magnificent Muraco), SummerSlam's Greatest Hits (Hart-Perfect, MegaPowers-MegaBucks and a few others) and a television show from ECW's very early days (the show focused on hype for the first ever Cactus Jack-Sabu match, which they hyped repeatedly using the ironic tag line "No Hype Necessary"). Overall, a nice mixture of footage that I could get used to.

Caught my beloved Blue Jays get whomped by Timlin and the Yankees yesterday. Oh well, I'd had a pretty good track record this season; it only made sense I'd see a real stinker sooner or later. To be fair, though, the pitching wasn't terrible; they just weren't hitting.

Lastly, a request. Without getting into things too much, I'm asking everyone to please send along your good vibes, karma, etc. for me as I head into a very trying day tomorrow. Thanks....

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

consider yourself karma-ed.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know tomorrow is a tough day for you. Whatever you do, DO NOT give them the secret formula, or our plans will be ruined. RUINED!!!

Best of luck to ya, boss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home