eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Movie Review - "Benchwarmers"

Monday, April 10, 2006

Movie Review - "Benchwarmers"

I wasn't sure I was going to like this one a whole lot. It had all the elements of a horribly-cliched sports comedy: not-so-lovable losers (David Spade, Jon Heder, Rob Schneider), a bunch of smart-ass kids (???) and a retired sports star making a shocking cameo (Reggie Jackson). Definitely something where I'd already seen the best clips in the commercial, or so I'd figured.

And yet the concept works. Sure, there are jokes that are real groaners, and I'm still waiting to see whether Heder has any other characters besides Napoleon Dynamite to show us, but for the most part, it was pretty light-hearted. I think the fact that they didn't try TOO HARD to gross people out helped as well.

Look, it's definitely not a "must-see", but its not without its charm. Nice tie-in to the start of baseball season to boot (my record for Jays games I attended this year: 1-1, as I saw Halladay's loss to the Rays yesterday).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home