eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Great American Bash '89! YESSSS!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Great American Bash '89! YESSSS!

So I've been searching for a copy of this event, literally for years, and thankfully, The Big Rybowski downloaded one for me this week. I had seen it originally a week or two after the original show aired (via "Hollywood" Stu Stone, for those keeping score at home), and it is still one of my favorite pay-per-views in wrestling history.

Why? It's hard to explain. There was just so much.... promise there in WCW (at the time, NWA) and this was the event that showcased it. There was Sting and Great Muta in possibly one of the most evenly-matched pairings of that era. There was Rick Steamboat and Lex Luger, who BOTH played their parts to perfection in their grudge match. There was Brian Pillman, essentially at the starting of his career, showing us high-flying moves that weren't the norm back then. And of course, there was the main event between Ric Flair and Terry Funk, which I remember as being THE SHIT at the time. I haven't watched that match again yet, but I'm quite certain it will hold up the test of time.

For every bone-headed, ridiculous show that WCW gave us over the years... this is the one that I can still look at and say "You guys did THIS ONE right." I would hold it up against practically any WWE or ECW show and it would put up a good fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home