eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: SummerSlam Thoughts

Monday, August 22, 2005

SummerSlam Thoughts

As has become the norm this year, my prognosticative powers failed me, as I believe I nailed only 5 of the 8 matches (which is better than most of the PPV's this year, but still pretty lousy, when at least 2 out of the 3 I got wrong were darkhorse pics).

Chris Benoit vs. Orlando Jordan
Exactly what the doctor ordered. An unexpected surprise at the same time.

Matt Hardy vs. Edge
Don't quite understand the finish, though I guess they're going for realism here. I would have preferred to see a no-contest, though, rather than a relatively simple victory for Edge at this stage.

Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero
The right finish, I suppose, even though I picked Eddie to win. Some awesome spots here, and easily the best match of their series. You have to think, though, why does security keep letting family members interfere?

Eugene vs. Kurt Angle
Way shorter than it should have been, though I can appreciate that they had to end this one quickly given how fast the crowd turned on Eugene.

Undertaker vs. Randy Orton
Easily Orton's best match to date; as much as I hate to say it, the kid has improved in between injuries. Great finish as well, though I thought for sure the man in the disguise would have been Muhammad Hassan.

John Cena vs. Chris Jericho
Crazy crowd reactions here, which shows me how over both of these guys are. Finish was well-planned too. Surprised Bischoff or Carlito didn't figure in the match somehow.

Batista vs. JBL
Exactly as expected, no more no less. Though the Batista Bomb on the steps WAS a brutal spot. Where does Batista go from here, though? A feud with Eddie?

Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels
On one hand, it was Hogan's best match in a looooong time, so give Michaels his due for carrying The Hulkster to such a watchable (and lengthy) bout. But HBK was overselling like crazy -- we're talking Mr. Perfect territory here, and it really was unnecessary.

But I can live with the fact that Hogan win, even though I called for Michaels. What I don't understand is the respect angle at the end. Unless they're counting on a really novel way for Michaels to re-turn heel tomorrow, then I just don't get it. Michaels was an AWESOME heel over the past six weeks. If this angle ends now, it was all for nothing. Especially if he's a face again, which is my biggest fear.

Overall, a very good show, though. Easily the best this year since Mania.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home