eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Taboo Tuesday Thoughts

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Taboo Tuesday Thoughts

Here's one - WORST. PPV. EVER.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a tad (Heroes of Wrestling was wayyy worse, for example), but I really didn't walk out of that one with a good feeling at all.

Change of venue notice: Because this wasn't a regular Sunday PPV, the movie theater my brother and I regularly frequent wasn't showing the events. So we moved down the road to a Cineplex Odeon. These people are NOT set up for PPV (at least that particular venue). The screen was a widescreen format, which made most of the wrestlers look extremely fat. The first wrestler I think I saw was Molly and was thinking "have they gone back to the fatass gimmick again? She looks like she's pregnant!" Nope - it was just the horrible screen format. Famous Players is soooo much better than this place.

That said, the good thing about going to a new venue is that our gang can try out new obnoxious chants, etc. and see how they play out. I've got to say, my brother and I were definitely "over" in this new theater. We started a "WE WANT SNITSKY (Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap)" chant that caught on and my Mr. McMahon impression of "You're FIRRRRRRRRRRED" also went over well.

Shelton Benjamin Vs. Chris Jericho
Don't get me wrong; I definitely think it was a good idea to give Benjamin the I-C title at this point. But this match didn't seem to click. Perhaps it was the dead crowd, or my eyes getting used to the widescreen format, but this way a boring, plodding match, the first of many. And one face giving the other face the belt is fine when its Hogan-Warrior, but not Jericho-Benjamin.

Divas Bullshit Battle Royal
At least they picked the right winner. That's about all I'm going to add to this nonsense.

Kane Vs. Snitsky
My brother and I must have set the record for the most "SNIT-SKY" chants in one evening last night. Sadly, it was more exciting than the match itself. What was the point of having a chain match when it was the chair that played into the finish? And, even in storyline purposes, I have to ask -- why was Lita supporting Kane? Yes, I have been watching WWE TV so I've heard the explanation they've given us, but uh.... nah, I'm just not going to go there. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And I seriously think Kane should have gone over there.

Eugene Vs. Bischoff
We actually went out to get snacks for this match, and by the time we got back, they were already deciding the stipulation. Scary fact: Mr. McMahon's entrance got the biggest pop BY FAR in the entire theater. Hopefully, this is one time WWE doesn't listen to its fans and try to give Vinnie Mac more TV time.

Chris Benoit and Edge Vs. La Resistance
Played out pretty much like I figured it would, and the idea of having feuding tag team champions is not a bad idea at all when used sparingly. The problem was, the match stunk. And as for JR making Benoit sound superhuman.... he defeated La Freaking Resistance! Come on... I will say this, though, winning the tag titles by himself on PPV will only help add to Benoit's legend during a career year. So... great idea, poor execution.

Christy Vs. Carmella
When you don't even know how to get pinned properly, maybe you can take that as a hint you should get the HELL out of this business.

Shawn Michaels Vs. Triple H
I'm not going to be too hard on this one for the simple reason that if Michaels was as badly injured as they say he was (the overacting aside, who's going to question him? Besides Triple H that is), then that's probably the best they were going to get out of him. It wasn't a terrible match, but because the two of them have had so much better, it was disappointing. But understandably so. And the finish -- well, that was exactly what I'd called earlier this week. Let the era of Edgevolution begin!

Randy Orton Vs. Ric Flair
THIS was the last match? Well, I guess considering the alternatives, they didn't have much of a choice. But... given that this was the main event and that the cage was already hanging above the ring... was there ANY DOUBT what the choice would be for the stipulation? I mean, how could you have accomplished the finish that they were going for in, say, a submission match?

That said, it was an *okay* match. I understand that they wanted to give Flair one last ME and give Orton the rub at the same time. But it just didn't have a main event feel to it. Besides knocking off an old man who's been beaten by basically everyone on the Raw roster in recent years, what did Orton accomplish? And where do they go with Flair from here? Or was this his grand finale? Either way, it didn't seem fitting for a legend like Flair.

Am I being too hard on this PPV? Maybe. But this is one I just couldn't justify the money I spent on it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home