eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Movie Review - Revenge of the Sith (w/ Bonus Story)

Friday, May 20, 2005

Movie Review - Revenge of the Sith (w/ Bonus Story)

I'll try to keep this spoiler-free, appreciating the fact that many people still haven't seen it yet...

Well, I liked it. Mind you, I didn't dislike the first two of this trilogy, though this one is certainly the clear winner. It definitely has the tightest script of the three, the most memorable lines and some of the craziest special effects (particularly in the opening scene).

Moreso than in the first two films, I found both Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid to be particularly convincing. Hayden Christensen, not so much, but I don't think he's a particularly good actor anyways.

Sith does wrap up everything in a nice little package, so that if you're watching the films in numerical order, they make perfect sense now. Perhaps even to the point where they spelled out even the most obvious plot points for Episode IV, but I guess they had to dumb it down for the unwashed masses.

Speaking of which, a story I have to relate: Went to the film with my brother and sister-in-law, and we go our choice seats with time to spare. At the 10 minute-before-the-film point, I still had an empty seat next to me, which is always a bonus for coats, etc. Then just as the lights go down, this heavyset, odd-looking man asks if the seat is taken. I wanted to say "yes", but I didn't.

So buddy jumps over the railing (and I'm gonna guess he was on the south side of 300 lbs.) and settles in next to me. Fine, whatever, I don't own the theater or anything; he has a right to sit beside me, you know? But then, he busts out a GameBoy-type device and starts playing poker. Which itself isn't a big deal except he keeps bumping me with his elbow.

It gets worse, as the film starts, he opens a can of beer (!!!) and begins breathing real heavy (think Vader and you've got a pretty good idea). Then I sense a disturbance in the force, which is a polite way of saying constant gas. Geez! Finally, at one point, he shifts over in his seat, as if he's going to start talking to me, and I lose it. I am sitting in my seat and I can't stop laughing. Jabba has no idea what's going on, but I turn to my brother and just can't stop giggling. Then he explains the situation to his wife and I'm in tears. Literally, tears are streaming down my face. After about 5 minutes of the giggles, I finally excuse myself and leave to regain my composure. I never could stop laughing though, especially after he opened beer # 2.

One last thing I wanted to add. This has so many tie-ins to wrestling, it's not funny. And no, I'm not even talking about my column from this week (cheapplugcoughcough). I'm talking heel turns, swerves, storyline building -- the WWE creative team really needs to take a good look at this film to see how things should be done. No joke intended, I really think that would help.

Anyways, loved the movie. The big guy next to me -- not so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home