eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Movie Review -- Borat

Monday, November 20, 2006

Movie Review -- Borat

Saw this last night and didn't stop laughing for the duration of it. But I will add -- it's definitely not for everyone.

Without getting too much into spoiler country, Borat takes jabs at pretty much everyone, be they divided by culture, religion or ethnicity. Yet the people he pokes the most fun at are Americans. The results (and one has to assume that, even though most of his "interviews" and other appearances are geniune, some just couldn't be legit) are fall on the floor funny. You don't really feel any sympathy for the Borat character, yet you don't always feel sympathy for his victims, either. It's an odd dynamic.

There is one scene (and again, I won't spoil anything) that was SO uncomfortable that it was hard to keep my eyes open for it. Yet I couldn't stop laughing. The three people I was with swore that, mostly because of that one scene, they wouldn't be able to watch that film again for a while. It was THAT disturbing.

So would I recommend this? I guess it depends on your threshold for humor. If you could sit through, say, Team America: World Police and make it out unscathed (not that they're at all similar in content), you'll probably be fine with this one. If you're going to get squeamish over certain things, particularly humor from an obvious bigoted and sexist character, you may want to stay home.

Also caught "Anchorman" last night (though on DVD at a friend's house, not in a theater or anything) was definitely very funny. And I liked Steve Carell here a helluva lot more than I did in, say, 40 Year-old Virgin.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first time you've seen "Anchorman"? Considering the number of movies you seem to watch, that's surprising.

My favourite part had to be the fight between the news stations and the interaction afterwards.

"Boy that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast."

"Yeah I stabbed a man in the heart."

"I saw that. Brick killed a man!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home