eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: Canada Votes

Monday, January 23, 2006

Canada Votes

If you haven't heard right now, the networks are predicting a Conservative Party minority, though it was closer than a lot of people expected (I had picked the Tories at 120 seats in my office pool, and they're currently at 122, so I was pretty damn close).

How do I feel about this development? Better than I'd thought I would, at least right now. My political leanings are definitely closer to the Liberals, but I understand the voter backlash. At least with this structure, both parties are very well represented, with the Bloc and NDP evening things out quite nicely.

I have a lot of questions still about what Stephen Harper represents, but I think we have enough balance right now to see test it all out. If he's able to represent the majority of Canada better than his predecessor -- well, hey, there won't be too much to complain about, I suppose. A lot of it is wait and see.

I will say this much: I have been watching and/or covering federal elections since the early-90's, and this particular campaign was by far the most interesting.

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing, my parents voted Conservative yesterday, and were already regretting it this morning. They aren't loyal to any particular party, and I believe they have voted Liberal/Alliance/Conservative/Conservative in the last 4 elections, but it was interesting to me that they've already got the "what the fuck have we done?" attitude, one day into a Conservative minority.

Personally, I'm just waiting for the "The Liberals screwed up Canada WAY more than we thought...we're not going to be able to deliver on many of our promises" line from the Conservatives. (A la McGuinty/Harris.)

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canadian politics are dumb. THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home