eXTReMe Tracker Canadian BullBLOG: MEGA multimedia review

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

MEGA multimedia review

Wow, I haven't done this for a while...

Over the past month, mostly while on vacation, I've had a chance to check out some decent DVD's, books, movies, etc., so here is a brief recap of the ones I would or wouldn't recommend.


Depeche Mode's "Precious" CD -- This single wasn't my favorite song of Playing the Angel, then I heard a remix in the store and knew I had to find it. Makes the initial song sound a zillion times better. If you like DM or even this one song, worth your while to check out the remixes (or at least download them from somewhere).

Jackass: The Movie -- Yes, I realize I'm, what, a few years late to the game, but I finally watched this DVD for the first time last week. It is easily as funny as people have said; forget having a queasy stomach - you NEED to see this film.

Jake "The Snake" Roberts: Pick Your Poison DVD -- An interesting biography, though perhaps a notch or two less so than, say, the Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit or Hulk Hogan ones. Basically, if you've been a fan of Jake over the years, you already KNOW his very sad story, and this DVD does little to change said story much. Some decent extras, particularly the Steamboat-Roberts match for Toronto's CNE Stadium (one of the first live wrestling shows I ever went to). Not a must-have DVD, let me put it this way, but not at all bad, either.

Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes -- I recently began reading King's work again after a loooooooong hiatus. This one is fantastic; about two dozen short stories packed in here, many of which are fantastic and spooky at the same time.

Sting: Moment Of Truth DVD -- I read Derek Burgan's review months and months ago on this and knew that the first opportunity I had, I would have to own this movie. And when I found init Buffalo last weekend, I didn't hesitate to purchase it. What follows is one of the crappiest, least-realistic "docudramas" about wrestling ever, and that's saying something. Okay, it's not in "Jesse Ventura Movie" territory, but at least that was HILARIOUS to watch unfold. This one wasn't funny, it was just kind of... there. Extras are basically worthless.

Syriana -- I'd be shocked if this doesn't get Oscar consideration, not because it was a brilliant movie (I wouldn't call it brilliant, anyways), but because this is the type of thing the Academy seems to flock to. Don't get me wrong - some very good acting here by George Clooney, Matt Damon and others. Just not the breakthrough movie some had made it out to be.

Ultimate Insiders: Matt & Jeff Hardy -- This is the same series as the Russo and Ferrara shoot interview I reviewed months back, and is just as good, despite the subjects being not quite as fascinating. Still, it's definitely worth a look -- great production values and some very interesting questions posed by Wade Keller. This was conducted shortly after Matt Hardy was fired during the whole Lita "thing". Now, I only have the first disc of three, and I'm not done even watching the first one quite yet, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home